Search This Blog

Thursday 18 October 2012

Here's my latest piece, "Angels Praise", still in progress as you can see.

8" x 8" / 20.4cm x 20.4 cm canvas panel

I applied gesso all over to begin with.

 For colour, I mainly used various shades of acrylics by JoyOND,  
and water colours by Eraldo and Paolo, both of which I found at Riot.)

First background layer is a staggering of acrylics, dark shades around the edges to light in the centre...
deep blues and purples, adding a little white to lighten toward the centre. 

Then, using Sky blue by Southern Krown - a water-based gloss acrylic,
I painted swirls emanating from the lower right corner out to the edges.

From the same focal point, turnin the painting on its side and upside down and on a few angles,
I dripped water colours - purple, deep blue, 
then mixed silver and white water colour...
to allow drippage flow to the extremities over top of the sky blue swizzles. 
I also added bronze and white, and gold and white drips, 
allowing each layer to dry before adding another.

Whilst layers were drying, I prepared the angel. She is hand-drawn by  me, onto cream card stock. I cut her out, cutting the wings away as a separate piece. I gessoed both. I used the gesso on the wings to form texure and division etc, and also on the angel's hair to provide layers and curls etc.
Once that was dry, I painted white acrylic on the hair, and silver on the wings. 

I then reattached the wings to the angel's main body, and glued the whole angel to the canvas panel using a strong glue to keep her in place. 
I gessoed lightly over as another form of keeping her in place and in preparation for the rest of the painting etc I will need to do to complete this piece.

She's been drying for a day and a bit now, so on with completing her.
I must say, I am really happy with how this is turning out, and I'm really proud of myself lol.



No comments:

Post a Comment